Re: Service not starting: Error 1053

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Frank Featherlight <dirtydude(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Service not starting: Error 1053
Date: 2009-02-25 09:06:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Frank Featherlight <dirtydude(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> while reading your thread two things come to mind, I have installed:
>> Registry Mechanic ( http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic )
>> Tune-Up Utilities ( http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities )
>> Any of these two might cause the problem aswell in your opinion?
>
> Damifino, I'm not a Windows person.  But I'd suggest methodically
> removing each and every bit of non-default software you've got,
> to see if you can find one that causes the failure.  We know that
> the failure does not occur on stock Windows or with most popular
> add-ons, so unusual add-ons deserve a close look.

I'm not a Tom Lane, but I do have a Windows background, and my advice
would be to steer clear of such tools as a general rule. Too many of
them do nothing useful, and there have been some such tools that are
actually trojans of some kind or other. I make no comments on the
specific ones you've mentioned though.

Your description of the system sounds like it's an OEM installation of
Windows. Does it have any OEM versions of
Norton/Symantec/McAffee/Panda/nod32 anti virus, anti spyware or
firewall packages installed (or have there ever been?).

It would also be potentially useful to see full details of your
system. Click Start -> Run and then type msinfo32 and then click OK.
In the app that runs, select File -> Export to save the system details
to a text file.

You should check the file to make sure there's nothing in there you
don't want to be public, and the zip it up and mail it to the list (CC
me incase the file is still too big for the list). I think you'll also
need to rename it to report.zi_ or similar, as I think the lists will
reject .zip files.

--
Dave Page