Re: pgAdmin no Job node

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Ignacio Rojas <irc(at)dbcomputers(dot)com(dot)py>
Cc: pgadmin-support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin no Job node
Date: 2009-02-20 19:33:59
Lists: pgadmin-support

[Please keep replies on-list]

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Ignacio Rojas <irc(at)dbcomputers(dot)com(dot)py> wrote:
> YES! Jobs enabled! now how would you recomend me to install the pgagent at
> the startup of my ubuntu? cause in the documentation said that it is system
> specific, will it work if i set the "pgagent hostaddr=locahost dbname=test
> user=ignacio" instruction it on my /etc/rc.local? and what does this
> instruction exactly do? should i use it for every database that i want to
> install a job to? or i just have to use it for only one? the postgres
> database perphaps? Tks.

You only need to setup one instance (per server*) to connect to the
postgres database. When you define your jobs in pgAdmin, you can
specify which database the step should execute in.

I'm not an Ubuntu expert, but you probably need to create a script in
/etc/init.d which will start and stop pgAgent. Look at one of the
other existing scripts in their to use as a basis for yours. I think
you then use update-rc.d to install the script in the appropriate
runlevels on Ubuntu (I'm more of a Redhat guy - we use chkconfig).

* The next version of pgAgent will allow steps to operate on remote
servers as well

--
Dave Page