Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin for Greenplum database?
Date: 2009-02-11 10:43:42
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com> wrote:

>> Can you post your patches ASAP so we can see how large they are and
>> how much work will be involved?
>>
> And here are some of the new source files for the change.
>
> The changes aren't quite ready yet, I still have work to do.

Hi,

I've quickly eyeballed the patch and the additional files and don't
see anything that gives me any cause for concern. Obviously I cannot
test the Greenplum-specific code at the moment (I guess I'll have to
download the trial at some point - yet another test VM :-p ). I did
spot the following (minor) issues, at least some of which I would
assume you're already aware of:

- The additional constants in keywords.h should have a
product-specific suffix, ie. _GP

- The standard indent in the pgAdmin code is four spaces, not a tab.

- The online help is using the PostgreSQL help site. Do you have a
version of the PG docs with the Greenplum additions that still uses
the same file names? If so, there should be an appropriate help path
option on frmOptions, if not, we need to figure out an acceptable
alternative.

- The patch is missing images, headers, dialogue code (I assume there
should be dlgResQueue.cpp and dlgPartition.cpp) and dialogue
resources.

- precomp.h needs an update to include any new headers.

- Presumably Greenplum has it's own versions of pg_dump and friends,
in which case we need a GP Bin Path option on frmOptions, and changes
to frmBackup::getCmdPart1() and similar functions to call the correct
binary.

Please be aware that we're expecting to go to beta within a few weeks
(at the same time as PostgreSQL 8.4), so we'll want to get these
patches in fairly soon.

--
Dave Page