Re: Import: how to display warnning & error message

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Quan Zongliang" <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Import: how to display warnning & error message
Date: 2009-01-06 10:29:07
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I got a free license of DialogBlocks to design UI.
> Thank Julian Smart and his company: Anthemion Software Ltd.

I'd be interested to hear how that works out - I didn't have much luck
with it last time I tried it.

Note that whatever output it produces, it will need to fit in with the
existing XRC infrastructure.

> Question:
>
> In import wizard, it is needed to display messages.
>
> 1. How to add status bar to wxWizard?
> Like other UI, put wxStatusBar at the bottom of window.
> I had tried to put wxWizard and wxStatusBar to wxPanel, but it can't
> work properly.

No, that won't really work on a wizard.

> 2. Add a status bar to wxWizardPage?
> The UI will get bad look and can't follow common style.

No.

> 3. Use wxMessageBox?
> The end user will suffer from lots of message dialog.

No.

> Can someone give me a suggestion and a solution?

Look at frmBackup/frmRestore. On those we use a text area to capture
and display the output as it happens. This has the advantage that the
user can copy and paste the entire log of the operation afterwards,
which they cannot do with a status bar.

> Sorry, my fault, send this mail to support mailing-list.
> Can you delete it, Dave?

Nope - once you hit 'Send', that's it! Just reply to it with 'sorry,
should have been sent to -hackers' or something like that.

--
Dave Page