Re: import function's progress report

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Quan Zongliang" <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: import function's progress report
Date: 2009-01-05 09:17:00
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> The work restarted.
>
>> No, we don't make UI design optional - we use the appropriate controls
>> for the task and leave it at that.
> I had read wxWizard's document. The button's label and status can't be
> controlled.

You can use code such as:

FindWindow(wxID_FORWARD)->Disable();

> labels or more controller to control the data import progress.

Right - but those controls can be incorporated onto a panel that
provides additional user feedback such as a progress bar - and just
disable the Next/Finish button until the import has completed.

> One choice:
> We can use wxWizardPage to contain this contrllers, as it derived from
> wxPanel. But this may make UI look strange.

I don't think so, if it's designed nicely.

> Two:
> Rewrite the wxWizard class, add some Get and Set method to control more
> elements.

There's no reason we cannot extend the class anyway, to provide
cleaner access to the buttons etc.

Please bear in mind that there are likely to be more wizards in the
future (for example, to aid replication setup). Whatever you do here
also defines the style of those future wizards as we don't want to
have differing look and feel between them. Therefore, I would suggest
you need to keep things as simple as possible and only deviate form
the wxWidgets way of doing things where absolutely necessary.

--
Dave Page