Re: BUG #4584: PostgreSQL service doesn't start

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Mark Muzenhardt" <mark(dot)muzenhardt(at)arcor(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4584: PostgreSQL service doesn't start
Date: 2008-12-16 20:49:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Mark Muzenhardt
<mark(dot)muzenhardt(at)arcor(dot)de> wrote:

> Bug reference: 4584
> Logged by: Mark Muzenhardt
> Email address: mark(dot)muzenhardt(at)arcor(dot)de
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.5-2
> Operating system: Windows XP professional
> Details:
>
> I have installed the one-click-installer of PostgreSQL on a virtual machine
> with a new WindowsXP professional installation (nothing but PostgreSQL is
> installed). I did not get access to the database, so I began to search why.
> I found, that the PostgreSQL service was not started and tried to do this by
> myself. The service is refusing to run, no matter what I've tried. A
> postgres-user was created by the installer and I installed PostgreSQL with
> the Administrator account, so this issued can not be the problem.

If the server didn't start I'd have expected to see an error during
the installation - was there none?

Can you post the installation log - you should find it in your temp
directory, normally C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local
Settings\Temp

Make sure you replace any occurrences of the password you selected
with XXXX or similar before you send the log.

--
Dave Page