Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Liraz Siri" <liraz(at)turnkeylinux(dot)org>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Chander Ganesan" <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]
Date: 2008-12-10 13:30:07
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> I hate to bring this up but --- although they download Postgres updates
> from Ubuntu, because it is a live cd don't they revert with a their
> CD-pressed version of Postgres every time they reboot. :-(

At which point they'll lose their data too. I'm not entirely convinced
that a live CD necessarily needs to be entirely up to date with the
latest bug fixes. They are after all designed for people to have a
quick play with, without needing to touch their regular OS
installation.

On the other hand, the TurnKey option does say it can run in a VM,
where presumably it would retain both updates and data.

--
Dave Page