Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Date: 2008-12-01 08:36:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:21 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Greg Smith wrote:
>
>> Memory detection works on recent (>=2.5) version of Python for Windows
>> now.
>
> I just realized that the provided configuration is really not optimal for
> Windows users because of the known limitations that prevent larger
> shared_buffers settings from being effective on that platform. I know there
> are some notes on that subject in the archives that I'll look though, but
> I'd appreciate a suggestion for what a good upper-limit for that setting is
> on Windows. I also wonder whether any of the other parameters have similar
> restrictions on their useful range.

It's going to be of little use to 99% of Windows users anyway as it's
written in Python. What was wrong with C?

FWIW though, in some pgbench tests on XP Pro, on a 4GB machine, 512MB
seemed to be consistently the most effective size (out of tests on
32MB, 512MB and 1GB). There wasn't much between 32 and 512 though - my
suspicion is that 128 or 256 would be similarly effective. I didn't
have time to test that though.

--
Dave Page