Re: Import from CSV

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Quan Zongliang" <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Import from CSV
Date: 2008-11-26 08:59:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> Next, I plan to code TODO Item "- Import from CSV".

Cool :-)

> Maybe, export function is also expected by somebody.

As you note, we already have that. The TODO item for importing is just
to produce a *relatively simple* companion to frmExport.

> It will take a long time, several months. Because I have to do it in
> spare time. And I am unfamiliar at i18n, first attempt.

No problem - that'll give you a year or more until the next major release.

> Now, there is frmExport class, it used by query tool to export data.
> So, it seems better named frmImportData to distinct them, rather than
> frmImport.

No, I think frmImport - as I mentioned above, this TODO is intended to
work with frmExport.

> It should be flexible to parse more format as possible.
>
> In future, the TODO item:
> - Data Import/Export tool, for file & external database IO. Including
> data transformation.
> will can share some component with this.

Well that's actually intended as a much more generic ETL tool which
would have a very different architecture (which I have also put a fair
bit of thought into FWIW - I should probably write that down
someplace!). That would be a much more complex standalone project,
though I'd be happy if you wanted to work on it.

> I noticed the pgimport project (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgimport/)
> had been registered in 2006. But did nothing.
> We will make it available.

:-)

--
Dave Page