Re: Password and Installation

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Andrew Maeng" <amaeng87(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PgSql General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Password and Installation
Date: 2008-11-24 09:29:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Andrew,

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Andrew Maeng <amaeng87(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Thanks Dave. I can't seem to find the SQL user in the user accounts though.
> All i can see is the asp.net machine account.

Look for a user called 'postgres', not SQL.

> I'm guessing that this means that PostgreSQL is uninstalled, but I'm still
> unable to install PostgreSQL because I'm putting in the "wrong password".

The uninstaller doesn't remove the postgres user account because it
doesn't have any way of knowing if you're using it for other tools or
different versions of PostgreSQL. If the installer is reporting that
the password is incorrect, that's because there's an existing account
and Windows is telling us the password is wrong. If you can't find the
account for whatever reason, another way of removing it is to use the
command line tools. From a command prompt with administrator
privileges, try:

net user postgres /delete

It *should* be shown in the computer management applet though - but
the user accounts tool in Control Panel will hide service accounts (I
assume that applies to Vista as well as XP).

Regards, Dave.

--
Dave Page