Re: PATCH for CREATE DATABASE with COLLATE, CTYPE & CONNECTION LIMIT

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Ashesh D Vashi" <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH for CREATE DATABASE with COLLATE, CTYPE & CONNECTION LIMIT
Date: 2008-11-17 08:34:42
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 5:49 AM, Ashesh D Vashi
<ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> If you want, I can make it visible for all the version of PostgreSQL and
> make it disabled for not supported version of PostgreSQL.
> * COLLATE & CTYPE should visible for PostgreSQL 8.4.
> * CONNECTION LIMIT should be visible for PostgreSQL 8.1 & later.
> (I may forget to ask you to use embed-xrc.bat on windows. :( )
> If not, I will have to look into the patch. :(

Yup, as a general rule we disable controls for versions of Postgres
that doesn't support them - we don't make the invisible. There are two
reasons for this - to make the presentation of dialogues to the user
consistent (some could change quite considerably otherwise), and to
avoid layout issues caused by having multiple possible designs.

> And a question: why do you limit the connection limit to 1000?
>

> Nobody asked to me to limit it to 1000.
> For sack of it, I have done it, actully I was looking for input from you
> all.
> What do you say?

Yeah, I'd set the limit to the bounds of the datatype used in the
catalogs, or that PostgreSQL will accept if thats a lower value
(despite the fact that may seem ridiculously high).

--
Dave Page