Re: Download links

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Chander Ganesan" <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Download links
Date: 2008-09-18 11:42:38
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com> wrote:

> My apologies. I just went through all the links, and the only page with the
> registration questions is the EDB PostgreSQL Plus installer
> (http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/postgres_plus/download.do), which is
> linked to from the /download page . While completion of the form isn't
> required (and to be clear, I've never intimated that that info was
> required), it is presented for every download of PG+ .

Postgres Plus is our commercial distribution - and yes, we do request
registration for that. Postgres Plus is *not* what the PostgreSQL
downloads link to however (though there is a link in the 'third party
distributions' section).

> That being said, I really don't have any objections to the EDB links for the
> /download pages for the community stuff, though IMHO, the community should
> be distro specific (.rpm, .deb, etc.) packages over the EDB supplied
> one-click packages....

The reason why they are ordered as they are is explained in more
detail in a separate thread - but essentially it's because the people
that need most help figuring out what they need to download are the
ones that most benefit from one-click packages. Those that don't need
the help, are also those that are more able to figure out what
combination of RPMs/DEBs/Ports/whatever they need, and know that that
type of package is what they want.

--
Dave Page