Re: Presenting groups

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Jean-Paul Argudo" <jean-paul(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
Cc: "Koen Martens" <gmc(at)sonologic(dot)nl>, "PostgreSQL EU General" <pgsql-eu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Presenting groups
Date: 2008-07-17 10:15:53
Lists: pgeu-general

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Jean-Paul Argudo
<jean-paul(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org> wrote:

> Yes, this is just a proposal of "how we may work". The main idea is to
> have small teams (from 2 to 6 persons?) working on a precise and
> concrete topic.

Nice idea, somewhat hard to implement in an Open Source project I suspect.

> I imagine the "chief" to change each year. I imagine one person not be
> chief of more than one unique group and some mechanism to force
> elections when a "chief" is willing to give up or when he's gone or when
> he doesn't do anything. :)
>
> Please understand I'd like to keep it simple, far from bureaucracy. But
> this said, we cannot act without some kind of rules.

Why not? The main project seems to be working perfectly well. We get
good software release, conferences and events are organised very
successfully. The only groups we have other than -core and funds are
ones where there is a distinct need for people we trust highly - eg.
committers and sysadmins.

Sometimes these some bike-shedding admittedly, but I think the freedom
in the way we work more than makes up for that.

--
Dave Page