Re: pgadmin doesn't show field contents

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: kaeptn(dot)haddock(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgadmin doesn't show field contents
Date: 2008-07-17 07:39:42
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 7:09 AM, kaeptn haddock
<kaeptn(dot)haddock(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Dear List
>
> We have databases in SQL_ASCII (I know, uft-8 would be better).
> In Windows, pgadmin works fine.
> In Ubuntu, pgadmin doesn't show field content when fields contain
> special characters such aus umlaute.
>
> Is this a bug, and is there a workaround (other than changing the
> encoding of the db?)

Well the problem with SQL_ASCII is that pgAdmin really has no clue how
to interpret anything other than chars 0 - 127 (pure 7 bit ASCII), so
what you get is largely down to how the OS/Widget set decide to
interpret such characters.

The only real fix is to convert to another encoding, such as utf-8.
You might just have to bite the bullet and give it a try.

--
Dave Page