Re: Working on native Windows x64 version of PostgreSQL

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Ken Camann" <kjcamann(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Working on native Windows x64 version of PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-07-02 21:50:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Ken Camann <kjcamann(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> For those who have seen my other thread, I have decided to take the
> plunge: I am going to try to get PostgreSQL to compile as a native
> Windows x64 application (so that it will be able to interface with x64
> DLLs) and I will contribute my changes to the community.

:-)

> As you know, many of the extra postgres features rely on external
> libraries available from gnuwin32, so these must also be converted to
> x64 DLLs or they won't work. I will be starting small, disabling all
> these extra features and only trying to build the core functionality.

That's perfectly reasonable.

> I plan to work on this in a few stages, submitted as work in progress
> patches, because I think this will require a lot of changes. The
> first stage is very simple though; I will be modifying the Perl
> scripts in the src/tools/msvc directory to support the x64 compiler.
> I am using Microsoft Visual C 2008, but I will try to ensure
> everything works with Visual C 2005 (no previous versions have an x64
> compiler, so there are only 2 platforms to support).

I would suggest generating just VC2k5 project files, and then
modifying the build scripts to upgrade them first if required. We do
something similar with wxWidgets for pgAdmin's use - albeit converting
VC++6 files to 2k5 - using the /upgrade option in vcbuild.exe. I
assume something similar is feasible for 2k5 -> 2k8.

Regards, Dave

--
Dave Page