Re: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog
Date: 2008-07-01 15:17:49
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:

> I'm at the PostgreSQL booth, for the RMLL in Mont-de-Marsan
> (http://rmll.info). I'm trying the wifi system :)

:-)

> Here is the patch that fixes your issue on Win32. Works great on Win32 and
> Linux... I'm not sure for Mac OS X though.

Hmm, this still isn't looking so good I'm afraid:

- If I open the properties dialogue on a database, click the SQL tab
and then uncheck Read only, having changed nothing, I get asked if I
want to cancel my edit. I believe this is because in the edit case,
GetSQL() will return nothing, whilst the textbox may contain '--
nothing to change'

- The sizing is still wrong on Mac. Worse, the text boxes no longer
resize on the resizeable dialogues (dlgFunction, dlgPackage,
dlgTrigger and friends).

I would suggest avoiding trying to calculate the dimensions in code -
in my experience this almost never works well. Instead, I would
suggest laying the two textboxes and the checkbox in a sizer and
letting that do the work. Not only should that be easier to code (once
you fully understand sizers!), but it should work properly on all
platforms, and be resize-friendly.

The same should probably be done for other standard tabs (eg,
privileges, gucs) when you update all the XRC files as you discussed
previously.

Sorry, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear - but we'll get there :-)

--
Dave Page