Re: pgScript plan

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Mickael Deloison" <mdeloison(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgScript plan
Date: 2008-06-02 09:07:00
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Mickael

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Mickael Deloison <mdeloison(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I played with pgAdmin code and here is what I did:
> * I created a new icon and a new menu entry in the main window.
> * When this menu entry or icon is clicked, it opens a new form frmPgScript which
> is mainly based on frmQuery minus a few useless things (no Explain or
> History output, just a Run & Cancel button, ...).
> * This form is also based on ctlSQLBox but I added a m_pgscript data member to
> tell whether it is a pgScript ctlSQLBox or the regular one (Query tool);
> if it is pgScript one then, during instantiation, I add some keywords to the
> list of colorized keywords.
> First, how does it sound? Am I completely wrong. Would you see something
> different?

It should not be a new form, but an enhancement to the existing one
(just a 'run script' button, like we allready have run/explain/export
etc). I can't see any justification for duplicating all the code that
is likely still there (or increasing the complexity if you were to
subclass it), and from a usability perspective it becomes very messy
with two similar forms doing such similar jobs.

> Then, if everything above is OK, I have several questions. Basically how would
> compilation be managed? I mean there are several possibilities:
> * Either pgScript can reside in pgAdmin repository or pgScript files would
> be provided as a patch (archive) and files would have to be added manually
> to pgAdmin.

In the pgAdmin repo.

> * If pScript resides in pgAdmin repository, how would users choose whether to
> compile pgAdmin with or without pgScript? Pre-processor symbol? This would
> be fine in order not to add the icon and the entry menu but would not prevent
> pgScript files (in include/pgscript/ and pgscript/) from being compiled even
> if they are not used.

Why do you need to be able to disable it? If it's all in the source
tree, then there's no reason that anyone should be able to turn it off
- it's not like you need any additional libraries (do you?).

Regards, Dave

--
Dave Page