Re: Postgres on Linux - was 'Complete breakdown of pgadmin when trying to connect to server or modify properties of tables of views'

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew <archa(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)au>, Pgadmin-Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres on Linux - was 'Complete breakdown of pgadmin when trying to connect to server or modify properties of tables of views'
Date: 2008-03-12 08:54:23
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 13:27 +1100, Andrew wrote:
>
> > Which Linux distro's support Postgres releases the best? Which are
> > best suited in a server vs. development suite of tools?
>
> "Best" is a bit debatable, but Ubuntu/Debian and Fedora/RHEL/CentOS have
> very good PostgreSQL support. I'm using both of these, and both sides
> are doing good jobs.

Ubuntu is the distro that we have the most problems with pgAdmin on.
Apparently there have been distro-specific patches applied to
wxWidgets in the past which haven't played well. It seems better
recently though.

Both the latest Suse and Ubuntu introduce changes in GTK which will
cause pgAdmin to crash if wxWidgets was built against an older version
of GTK. That can be fixed either by recompiling against the new
llbraries, or setting an environment variable which tells GTK to work
the old way. I expect to see this issue in other distros in the
not-to-distant-future.

Personally, I'm using Slackware, Fedora 7 and CentOS 5.1, though I
don't run any production systems these days. Most of my work is on
Windows XP and Mac OS X though.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com