Re: Display line numbers in SQL view

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Robins Tharakan" <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Display line numbers in SQL view
Date: 2008-03-04 09:41:52
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During constant debugging of triggers / functions in office, I see the need
> to copy paste a specific SQL string and run it in the SQL view to trace a
> bug on a given nth line. The problem being that the SQL view doesn't have
> line numbers in the margin like the Create function SQL tab.
>
> This patch adds line numbers to the SQL view as well.
>
> (This patch just enables the line-numbers in the margin, in case its
> desirable to have a checkbox that allows the user to enable/disable this, we
> could have a menu option for that in the View menu. Should we ?)

This has been turned on and off repeatedly over the years. I think the
main problem is that some people have quite long scripts for which the
line numbers start to take up a lot of room. I wouldn't be opposed to
making it a configurable option though... but many of the options in
the query tool actually affect other instances of the styled text
control as well. I wonder if now is the time to think about moving
them to the main options dialogue?

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com