Spam filters on the mailing lists

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2008-02-19 09:45:30
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi Marc,

For the last couple of weeks the amount of spam hitting the mailing
list moderation queues has been getting higher and higher. This
morning I've had something like 50 moderation messages to wade
through, of which only a couple were real mail.

Probably 50% - 75% of these are in 100% cyrillic text. Please modify
the spam filtering to reject these outright.

There were others which were just a single inline image. I don't see
any reason why we should allow messages llike that on the list from
non-subscribers (maybe subscribers want to send a screenshot)

There were others with basic spam indicators - words such as VPXL and
f****d (with other sexual references), and messages in almost entirely
upper-case.

In my experience even a simple spamassassin install without any
bayesian filtering should be able to knock out this kind of stuff - is
there something wrong with whats currently being run? In any case,
please take a look because this is starting to get really annoying
now.

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company