Re: BUG #3947: Unable to Initialize Data Cluster

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Fusion Software (UK) Ltd" <lee(at)fusionsoftwareuk(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3947: Unable to Initialize Data Cluster
Date: 2008-02-11 15:05:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Feb 10, 2008 7:45 PM, Fusion Software (UK) Ltd
<lee(at)fusionsoftwareuk(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> If it would help I can always invite you to onto the desktop so you can see
> for yourself what is happening? Not sure how to do that but I've seen the
> facility for remote assistance on Vista. Alternatively you can go to our
> support page on www.fusionsoftwareuk.co.uk and download RealVNC which will
> allow the same thing.

I've actually managed to reproduce the problem here (at last) on a
fresh Vista Ultimate installation. I'm seeing 2 issues:

1) The installation of the runtimes doesn't get committed during
install until the InstallFinalize action. This has always been the
case of course, but on Vista, things seem to have changed such that
the files are not even accessible until then. Of course, initdb
happens before InstallFinalize so it can rollback if there's a
problem.

2) Having manually installed the runtimes, initdb will work fine but
the server fails to start. The SCM reports that the dependency service
netlogon failed to start (which it does unless you're on a domain).
The problem is, we don't explicitly include netlogon as a dependency
anywhere I can see :-(

This second one is an odd one, because none of the other Vista
machines I've ever tested on have been on a domain, so this should
have happened before. Not missing the runtimes I can imagine as other
packages may have installed them though.

I'll keep investigating...

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company