Re: BUG #3947: Unable to Initialize Data Cluster

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Fusion Software (UK) Ltd" <lee(at)fusionsoftwareuk(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3947: Unable to Initialize Data Cluster
Date: 2008-02-10 16:57:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

[Please keep messages CC'd to the list]

On Feb 10, 2008 4:25 PM, Fusion Software (UK) Ltd
<lee(at)fusionsoftwareuk(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> Just to update you on the latest. It appears that although we can get 8.3.0
> to install by installing the Visual C++ 2005 msi first, although it appears
> to work fine when its first installed with the service starting and
> everything, once you turn the PC off and then on again the service refuses
> to start. It doesn't matter what we do with pg_hba.conf it will not start
> and eventually dies with an Error 1053 "The service did not respond to the
> start or control request in a timely fashion". It's odd because when you
> first install the service runs just fine, but once you stop it and try to
> restart it won't have it.

Well that's really bizarre - basically what you're saying is that the
Microsoft installer for the VC++ runtimes leaves the system in such a
state that the installation is effectively lost following a reboot. Is
this machine on a domain with any group policies or similar? I assume
you're running the installations as Administrator?

> So it looks like for the time being we're going to be stuck with using 8.2.
> We can't afford to go to sites and install knowing this might happen.

Quite understood - obviously we're pretty keen to fix it as well. Did
you try any of the beta or RC releases?

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company