Re: Dependencies during a fresh pgadmin compile

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Robins Tharakan" <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dependencies during a fresh pgadmin compile
Date: 2008-02-09 13:39:02
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Feb 9, 2008 11:44 AM, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After suffering a painful and recurring system-crash, I tried installing a
> fresh svn checkout on a new ubuntu 7.10 (x86_64) but was unable to compile
> pgadmin. Although I got around the issue, the frustrating thing was that the
> configure script kept insisting that software A was missing when actually it
> was a (dependent) software B that was missing instead.

FWIW, we see more problems on Ubuntu than any of the other Linux distros.

> I don't know if it helps but this is what I noted during this ordeal. (I
> don't know if this is normal but I thought that mention of this in the
> INSTALL file could have been of immense help to me)
>
> ./configure
> Error was about postgresql missing when actually libpq-dev was missing
> Error was about libxml2 when actually libxml2-dev was missing
> Error was about libxslt when actulaly libxslt-dev was missing
>
> ./configure --enable-debug
> Error was about libwxgtk2.8 missing when actually libwxgtk2.8-dbg /
> libwxbase2.8-dbg were missing.

The problem is that the packages you are missing are all distro
specific. For example, other platforms may include libxml2 &
libxml-dev in one package, and if you're installing from source code
they're definitely in one package.

If you want to tweak the messages to mention that the problem might be
a missing -dev or -dbg package I'll consider a suitably simple patch
though.

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company