Re: A thought on Index Organized Tables

From: Gokulakannan Somasundaram <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Karl Schnaitter <karlsch(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A thought on Index Organized Tables
Date: 2010-02-26 14:38:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Much better to take on a "simple" project like enabling full
> sequential index scans which you claimed you had a solution for and
> which is in any case an important sub-problem for IOT.
>

> Greg,
Well i don't think i am ready to take up a project of this size.
But at the same time some important features are lagging in postgres and
someone should start working on them to make the database compete with other
databases effectively. So i would request people like Tom, Heikki, Simon and
you to take up a major project like this and provide the necessary impetus
to the adoption of the database.
I have never written much code in C, and even if write it, i am
sure i will receive the comment that it is a unmaintainable code.(eg: Thick
index code and trailing nulls code) So its better i start working with one
of you guys to get a hang of developing maintainable code. So i would
request one of you to initiate the development and provide the necessary
directions to me, if possible. That will save my development effort and your
reviewing effort.
At the sametime, features like IOT, index only scans are features
which are very necesary for postgres to atleast make it get inside my
company. So i am putting forward all my arguments as a DB user.

Thanks,
Gokul.