Re: A thought on Index Organized Tables

From: Gokulakannan Somasundaram <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Karl Schnaitter <karlsch(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A thought on Index Organized Tables
Date: 2010-02-25 23:59:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I disagree with that, Gokul -- if the ordering operators are volatile or
> just incorrect, during DELETE, you could set xmax in the wrong IndexTuple.
> Then there will be another IndexTuple that says it's visible, but it points
> to a non-visible heap tuple. I think you should follow the pointers to the
> heap before you decide to let an index tuple remain in the index during
> vacuum. This would ensure that all references from an index to a heap tuple
> are removed before vacuuming the heap tuple. I would be worried about what
> might break if this invariant doesn't hold.

Well, Karl, if we have to support function based indexes/IOT, one thing is
for sure. We can't support them for volatile functions / broken data types.
Everyone agrees with that. But the question is how we identify something is
not a volatile function. Only way currently is to let the user make the
decision( Or we should consult some mathematician ). So we need not consult
the heaptuple.

Gokul.