Re: Proposal for Null Bitmap Optimization(for TrailingNULLs)

From: "Gokulakannan Somasundaram" <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers list" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for Null Bitmap Optimization(for TrailingNULLs)
Date: 2007-12-17 18:35:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi,
I made the fix and tested it today. It involved some 10-15 lines of code
change. I will mail it tomorrow. Feel free to give suggestions on making the
fix more maintainable.
I have followed Gregory's advice in the fix - Instead of changing the
slot_deform_tuple, i have reduced the number of attributes field of the
HeapTupleHeader(during insertion), so that the trailing nulls are treated
the same as newly added columns. Thanks Gregory.
Regarding arrangement of the columns, my take is to leave it to the user
on the arrangement of the columns. May be we can put some kind of tuning
hint somewhere in our document on the suggestions. I have made the above
statement, without thinking about other advantages, if any.

--
Thanks,
Gokul.