Re: A couple of fishy-looking critical sections

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: A couple of fishy-looking critical sections
Date: 2001-01-19 23:00:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM> writes:
>> 3. src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c, routine CreateCheckPoint:
>> does this *entire* routine need to be a critical section? Again,
>> I fear a shotgun approach will mean a net decrease in reliability,
>> not an improvement. How much of this code really has to be critical?

> When postmaster has to create Checkpoint this routine is called from
> bootstrap.c:BootstrapMain() - ie without normal initialization, so
> I don't know result of elog(ERROR) in this case -:(

I believe elog(ERROR) will be treated like FATAL in this case (because
Warn_restart isn't set). So the checkpoint process will clean up and
exit, but there wouldn't be a system-wide restart were it not for the
critical section.

The question that's bothering me is whether a system-wide restart is
actually going to make things better, rather than worse, if the
checkpoint process has a problem ...