Re: Client-requested cast mode to emulate Pg8.2 on v8.3

From: "Anton Melser" <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Client-requested cast mode to emulate Pg8.2 on v8.3
Date: 2008-03-25 17:35:58
Lists: pgsql-general

> You'd have to do something like
> DELETE FROM pg_operator WHERE oprcode = 'anytextcat'::regproc;
> since there isn't any higher-level command that will let you delete a
> built-in operator.
>
> I recommend practicing on a scratch database ;-)

Thanks for the tip, though alas that didn't seem to fix it...

select 1 || '/'

ERROR: operator is not unique: integer || unknown
LINE 1: select 1 || '/'
^
HINT: Could not choose a best candidate operator. You might need to
add explicit type casts.

and even

select 1 || '/'::text

ERROR: operator is not unique: integer || text
LINE 1: select 1 || '/'::text
^
HINT: Could not choose a best candidate operator. You might need to
add explicit type casts.

Am I in between a rock and a hard place here?
Thanks again,
Anton