Re: update field with lf chars problem

From: Antoine <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ludek Finstrle" <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: update field with lf chars problem
Date: 2006-07-20 08:00:19
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On 20/07/06, Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz> wrote:
> > We are running 8.01.102 (pg 8.1.1) and we have a quite annoying error.
>
> It's quite old version. Is there some reason to not using newer
> version?
>
> > We are able to insert rows that contain line feed characters (and
> > maybe crlf too) into a varchar(14) field but when we attempt to update
> > the same row via odbc we get an error. This happens even though we are
>
> What kind of error. The error message could clarify the problem a little
> bit.

The message in French is:
La mise à jour basée sur une requête a échouée car la ligne à mettre à
jour est introuvable.
Which translates roughly to English (sorry couldn't find the proper
translation):
The query-based update failed because the row to update cannot be found.

The column in question is NOT in the primary key, and this only
happens when the row is created with lf (and probably crlf) in it -
there is no problem setting it to null in other circumstances.

> > setting the field to null.
> > Does anyone have any info on this?
>
> Not at first sight. Does LF <-> CRLF option take some effect?

That seems to fix it. I guess I understand why... I would still
consider it a bug though - shouldn't the driver take into account the
fact that it is doing this conversion when looking for the row?
Cheers
Antoine

--
This is where I should put some witty comment.