Re: possible to access a Linux box db from a Windows box

From: Antoine <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: possible to access a Linux box db from a Windows box
Date: 2004-10-12 20:26:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:09:56 -0700, Daniel Lerch
<daniel(at)mountainmeasurement(dot)com> wrote:
> I was looking at that earlier - couldn't tell if it was client-side or
> server-side. Since you're pointing me to it, I'll assume it's
> client-side and will try it out.
>
> Also, re your other reply that there are many online SQL tutorials, and
> asking where I am in the process: I guess I'm so new to things that I
> didn't realize I should be looking for SQL tutorials, and not postgreSQL
> tutorials (I searched for the latter, and they were all too
> complicated). Sounds like I should start with SQL, and then move to
> the postgreSQL-specific tutorials later when I'm ready to use more
> advanced functions. I'll give that a shot, and email again if I run
> into problems.
>
> Thanks!
> -d
>
> Sean Davis wrote:
>
> > Look at pgadmin III (http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/index.php).
> >
> > Sean
> >
> > On Oct 12, 2004, at 3:56 PM, Daniel Lerch wrote:
> >
> >> It occured to me that I might have an easier time learning PostgreSQL
> >> if I start off with a GUI instead of just command line.
> >> But I access the database over our LAN -- I'm on a Windows 2000 box,
> >> and the psql database is on a Linux box. I've been accessing it by
> >> running PuTTY.
> >>
> >> So, my question is - is there a GUI program I can run off my Windows
> >> 2000 box that will allow me to access myt psql database on the Linux
> >> box? Or do I have no choice but run the GUI on the Linux box?

Certainly ask your boss to make phppgadmin available for you to access
your pg db from anywhere in the world... it is a php-based script
library (is that the right way to put it?) that runs on the web
server. It kicks everything (including the kitchen sink!;-))! It is
extremely easy to use, and if you are a web kitten then is probably
even more intuitive than access. I have tried to use pgadminIII a bit
but it crashed on me quite a bit - not something I like (I am running
8.0.0beta3 on gentoo).
You really must give this a go, even if it is just at home on
something you set up yourself. Postgres has an excellent windoze
installer and I imagine apache and php also (never used them on doze).
You should be about 10 clicks away, if windoze is as low as I believe
it to be, from a working phppgadmin. If you want I will help you on
your way through (i wouldn't mind installing apache and php on my doze
partition, so can see how it's done, but you'd better have a go at
least first...) to get there.
Cheers
Antoine

--