oracle 9i to postgres 7.4.5

From: Antoine <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: oracle 9i to postgres 7.4.5
Date: 2004-09-20 20:35:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi
I would like to try and export the db at work (oracle 9i) and use it
at home with postgres. I am still a complete noob with both (pretty
much with db admin actually...), and the web doesn't turn up much that
looks that promising... Can people who have done this sort of thing
before either suggest some links that have decent info or give me
reasonably explicit instructions (;-))? The oracle db is quite weildy
(lots of tables but bugger all data) but I don't think it has much by
way of triggers or functions, in any case the apps we are developing
work with an access export, so there can't be that many. It is a bit
of a monster really...
Next question - they have set up all the actual data tables in access
- and the access exports are done that way. I have found a script to
convert from access to postgres, is just using this (seeing as the
non-access stuff is not that important, for the moment anyway) going
to be *much* easier?
Cheers
Antoine

--