Re: missing toast table for pg_policy

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: missing toast table for pg_policy
Date: 2018-02-19 16:33:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/18/2018 01:33 PM, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 02/18/2018 11:18 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm fairly suspicious of toasting anything that the toast mechanism itself
>> depends on, actually, and that would include at least pg_attribute and
>> pg_index as well as pg_class. Maybe we could get away with it because
>> there would never be any actual recursion only potential recursion ...
>> but it seems scary.
>
> Well that is the other approach we could pursue -- instead of justifying
> which system catalogs need toast tables we could create an exclusion
> list of which ones should not have toast tables, with the current
> candidates being pg_class, pg_attribute, and pg_index.

The attached does exactly this. Gives all system tables toast tables
except pg_class, pg_attribute, and pg_index, and includes cat version
bump and regression test in misc_sanity.

Any further discussion, comments, complaints?

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
toastable-catalogs-02.diff text/x-patch 6.1 KB