Re: Views, views, views! (long)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
Cc: "elein" <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Views, views, views! (long)
Date: 2005-05-06 02:55:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com> writes:
> 2. Almost all of the information that cannot fit will be useful to
> other database systems as well, and should be suggested to the ANSI/ISO
> committee. Since INFORMATION_SCHEMA is a very new idea (only two
> adopters that I know of so far) I expect it will need to grow and
> PostgreSQL could be one of the contributors.

[ raised eyebrow... ] INFORMATION_SCHEMA is in the SQL92 spec.
If only two systems have adopted it in the last 13 years, it's
a failure and the SQL committee is unlikely to want to spend any
time on it. In any case, they just issued a spec and so there is
very unlikely to be another update for another five or so years.