Re: defining yuor own commands in PG ?

From: Filip Rembiałkowski <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: defining yuor own commands in PG ?
Date: 2009-12-19 11:59:33
Lists: pgsql-general

2009/12/18 Gauthier, Dave <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>

> Can you define your own commands in PG.

In psql, yes:

\set sel 'SELECT * FROM'
:sel clients;

\set desc '\\d'
:desc table

> E.g., if users from other DBs use “describe foo” to get the metadata for
> foo, is there a way I can create a command “describe” to = “\d” ?

But what's wrong with "\d"? For me, its like the first thing people learn
when practicing postgres.
It is even faster to type than DESCRIBE, right?

IMO, when you will bend postgres to mimick other DBMS, you will hide its
real power from users.

--
Filip Rembiałkowski
JID,mailto:filip(dot)rembialkowski(at)gmail(dot)com