Re: Upgrade db format without older version of PostgreSQL

From: Filip Rembiałkowski <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kelly Jones <kelly(dot)terry(dot)jones(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade db format without older version of PostgreSQL
Date: 2009-09-29 16:29:18
Lists: pgsql-general

2009/9/29 Kelly Jones <kelly(dot)terry(dot)jones(at)gmail(dot)com>

> I recently upgraded PostgreSQL, and now this happens:
>
> # /etc/init.d/postgresql start
>
> An old version of the database format was found.
> You need to upgrade the data format before using PostgreSQL.
> See /usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.3.8/README.rpm-dist for more information.

apparently your upgrade procedure was far from perfect.

> Unfortunately, I upgraded due to a hardware failure, and can't
> dump/undump, since I don't have the old PostgreSQL server anymore.
>
> Can I upgrade the data format w/o installing Postgres 7.2 (my
> "data/base/1/PG_VERSION" file says "7.2")?

no.

> If not, can Fedora 11's "yum" install Postgres 7.2 (so I can at least
> do a clean install/uninstall and then re-install 8.3.8)?

Don't know, but I'd rather try this:

compile 7.2 from source, bring up a temporary postgres 7.2 instance, dump it
(using pg_dumpall from 8.3), and load the dump into 8.3.

--
Filip Rembiałkowski
JID,mailto:filip(dot)rembialkowski(at)gmail(dot)com