Re: facing problem with createdb.

From: Filip Rembiałkowski <plk(dot)zuber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ms swati chande <swativc(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: facing problem with createdb.
Date: 2009-06-29 20:48:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2009/6/29 Ms swati chande <swativc(at)yahoo(dot)com>

> Hi,
>
> I built postgresql from source using Windows 2005.

Did you read
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows?

Why not use prebuilt versions (see
http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows)?

> After installation, I am trying to create a database using
>
> createdb.

Please read these:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/manage-ag-createdb.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/app-createdb.html

> It then asks for a password. What password is it? There are now passwords
> set on my system. Also tried editing pg_hba.conf. But could not solve the
> problem.
>
> How do I move ahead.

it's not clear what is wrong there, but try this:

1. Add this line to the beginning of your pg_hba.conf:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust

2. restart postgresql server.

3. you should be able to connect without password.

Please post such basic questions to pgsql-general mailing list.

You should REALLY read some manual pages, especially these:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/reference-client.html

good luck!

--
Filip Rembiałkowski
JID,mailto:filip(dot)rembialkowski(at)gmail(dot)com