Re: DB problem

From: Filip Rembiałkowski <filip(dot)rembialkowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "vinayakr(at)vmoksha(dot)com" <vinayakr(at)vmoksha(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB problem
Date: 2006-12-26 13:46:11
Lists: pgsql-general

2006/12/26, vinayakr(at)vmoksha(dot)com <vinayakr(at)vmoksha(dot)com>:

> I think the logs are not enabled in my DB. So I set the following options in
> postgresql.con file

you are using some options which came with later postgresql releases.

> log_timestamp= true
ok
> log_directory=pg_log
wrong (available from 8.0)
> log_filename=%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S.log
wrong (available from 8.0)
> log_disconnections=true
wrong (available from 8.0)
> log_hostname=true
wrong (available from 7.4)
> log_statement=true
OK

you can review all runtime options for 7.3 here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/runtime-config.html

> When you install the DB, the logs are enabled by default?
> Would you pls tell me still what setting need to be done?

for 7.3, the default was to log to standard output.
so you will have to redirect it, either to syslog (by setting syslog =
1), or to a file using shell redirection, or with pg_ctl option.
see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/app-pg-ctl.html

F.