psql: FATAL: Database "postgres" does not exist in the system catalog.

From: John Vandervliet <john(dot)vandervliet(at)sjrb(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql: FATAL: Database "postgres" does not exist in the system catalog.
Date: 2006-08-15 21:48:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

Sorry to bother everyone with this, but I tried searching the site and the
archive to no avail. I have read the docs and can't seem to get this ironed
out. I get the error "psql: FATAL: Database "postgres" does not exist in
the system catalog." when trying to start a psql session. This tells me that
my install in not complete. I reread the the post install instructions and
can't see anything obvious that says I missed something.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

John Vandervliet