Re: should we enable log_checkpoints out of the box?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: should we enable log_checkpoints out of the box?
Date: 2021-10-31 14:59:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> How about we enable it out of the box?

No.

The general policy at the moment is that a normally-functioning server
should emit *no* log traffic by default (other than a few messages
at startup and shutdown). log_checkpoints is a particularly poor
candidate for an exception to that policy, because it would produce so
much traffic. No DBA would be likely to consider it as anything but
log spam.

> It seems the checkpoint stats, that are emitted to server logs when
> the GUC log_checkpoints is enabled, are so important that a postgres
> database provider would ever want to disable the GUC.

This statement seems ridiculous on its face. If users need to wait
with bated breath for a checkpoint report, we have something else
we need to fix.