Re: Comments from a Firebird user via Borland Newsgroups.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Comments from a Firebird user via Borland Newsgroups.
Date: 2005-11-10 15:42:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com> writes:
> Tom,
> This is what the firebird guy said:

>>> Serializable is stricter and somehwat unusable in a multi-user, loaded
>>> database, because only one transaction can run at any time.

He's already demonstrated that he has no clue what he's talking about,
so I think you can discount the rest ;-)

Serializability means that the database has to *give the illusion* of
one-at-a-time execution, not that it must actually do things that way.
Certainly we don't do things that way. See the extensive discussion in
the MVCC chapter of our docs.