Re: Extension tracking temp table and causing update failure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extension tracking temp table and causing update failure
Date: 2012-03-08 19:44:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I wrote:
> Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> writes:
>> Could we force temp tables created in an extension script to be ON
>> COMMIT DROP so that CurrentExtensionObject is still set and your patch
>> kicks in, preventing the DROP cascading?

> Huh, yeah, that might work. It's ugly but at least the ugliness is
> localized; and there's no obvious reason why such a temp table ought to
> survive past the end of the script.

Actually, after I got done hacking the temp-schema case, I realized that
preventing temp tables from becoming extension members isn't so ugly as
I first thought; in fact, it's pretty much a one-liner, and much cleaner
than hacking ON COMMIT DROP. PFA a patch that fixes both of the
temp-table issues.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
no-temp-in-extensions.patch text/x-patch 6.9 KB