Re: max_wal_size

From: p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pluzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: max_wal_size
Date: 2020-05-27 16:17:23
Lists: pgsql-docs

David,

> This setting is the indirect means to ensure that the WAL directory
> doesn't get too large by forcing a checkpoint thus allowing the
> corresponding WAL to be removed.

This is a soft limit, ok.
But the question is a little different.

Suppose we have: version >= 11, no replication slots, archive_mode =
off.
Checkpoint_timeout is big enough, so checkpoints triggered only by
max_wal_size (1GB).
checkpoint_completion_target = 1.

What size of WAL files will be generated between checkpoints?
1GB or 0.5GB?

As I understand the description of max_wal_size(Maximum size to let the
WAL grow to between automatic WAL checkpoints), the answer is 1GB.
But it seems that the right answer is 0.5GB.

-----
Pavel Luzanov
The Russian Postgres Company