Re: how to get dependancies of a table?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: nobs(at)nobswolf(dot)info (Emil Obermayr)
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to get dependancies of a table?
Date: 2008-07-07 14:07:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

nobs(at)nobswolf(dot)info (Emil Obermayr) writes:
> Instead I would prefer to see the dependancies. I have no idea where to
> look.

Fix whatever client you're using to not throw away NOTICE messages ...

regression=# create table foo (f1 int primary key);
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "foo_pkey" for table "foo"
CREATE TABLE
regression=# create table bar (d1 int references foo);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# create table baz (d1 int references foo);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# drop table foo;
NOTICE: constraint baz_d1_fkey on table baz depends on table foo
NOTICE: constraint bar_d1_fkey on table bar depends on table foo
ERROR: cannot drop table foo because other objects depend on it
HINT: Use DROP ... CASCADE to drop the dependent objects too.