Re: psql \c error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Philip Yarra <philip(at)utiba(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql \c error
Date: 2006-03-30 03:19:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Philip Yarra <philip(at)utiba(dot)com> writes:
> Hi folks, I've found that CVS HEAD psql's \c doesn't quite behave as
> expected

Yeah, there were complaints about this already. I think the problem was
introduced by this patch:

* doc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml, src/bin/psql/command.c,
src/bin/psql/help.c: Please find enclosed a patch that lets you use
\c to connect (optionally) to a new host and port without exiting
psql. This eliminates, IMHO, a surprise in that you can now
connect to PostgreSQL on a differnt machine from the one where you
started your session. This should help people who use psql as an
administrative tool.

David Fetter

The patch seems not to behave very reasonably with respect to preserving
prior values for the newly-changeable connection parameters. I haven't
got time to look into it myself right now though --- do you want to?