Re: Overhead for stats_command_string et al, take 2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overhead for stats_command_string et al, take 2
Date: 2006-06-23 00:19:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Seeing stats_command_string with almost zero overhead is great news!
> Should we remove that setting and just have it enabled all
> the time?

If you don't need it, you shouldn't have to pay any overhead for it,
I think. One could make an argument now for having stats_command_string
default to ON, though.

Something that might also be interesting is an option to suppress
per-command ps_status reporting. On machines where updating ps status
takes a kernel call, there's now a pretty good argument why you might
want to turn that off and rely on pg_stat_activity instead.