Re: [GENERAL] Re : Solaris Performance - Profiling (Solved)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re : Solaris Performance - Profiling (Solved)
Date: 2002-04-03 15:23:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Mark kirkwood wrote:
>> Indeed it is - obtained qsort.c from Freebsd CVS and rebuilt Postgresql :
>> The query now takes 6 seconds instead of 1 hour ! Thanks for an
>> excellent suggestion.

> How about we include this and have configure somehow ensure the Solaris
> users get it automatically?

> There are a *bunch* of Solaris users out there.

Hmm. I suppose there'd be no license issues with borrowing a BSD qsort.
But I can't see any reasonable way for configure to decide automatically
whether we should replace the system qsort. I think we'd have to put
a USE_PRIVATE_QSORT symbol definition into src/template/solaris.

Can anyone see a problem with doing it that way --- are there any
versions of Solaris where this'd be a bad idea?