Re: PostgreSQL - unrecognized win32 error code: 38

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, ZhenHua Cai <zhhua(dot)cai(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL - unrecognized win32 error code: 38
Date: 2019-10-27 14:45:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 11:02:26AM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> Not sure how that can be answered without knowing what ComputeComputer is
>> doing?

> Yes, there is nothing of this kind in the PostgreSQL code.

Sure there is: win32error.c produces exactly that message if its
mapping table has no entry for the Windows error code.

According to

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/debug/system-error-codes--0-499-?redirectedfrom=MSDN

code 38 decimal is ERROR_HANDLE_EOF, "Reached the end of the file.",
which indeed is not in the doserrors[] table.

But that just deepens the mystery --- if we hit an EOF, why wasn't
that handled through more-normal channels? We still need to know
what that function was trying to do, and whether any non-core
C code was involved.