Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page

From: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page
Date: 2023-04-06 14:19:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06.04.2023 at 11:06, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 04.04.23 21:52, Brar Piening wrote:
>>> The XSLT implementation looks sound to me.  It would be a touch better
>>> if it had some comments about which parts of the templates were copied
>>> from upstream stylesheets and which were changed.  There are examples
>>> of such commenting in the existing customization layer.  Also, avoid
>>> introducing whitespace differences during said copying.
>>
>> I will amend the patch if we agree that this is the way forward.
>
> Ok, it appears everyone agrees that this is the correct approach.
> Please post an updated patch.  There have been so many partial patches
> posted recently, I'm not sure which one is the most current one and
> who is really the author.

Attached are two patches:

001-make_html_ids_discoverable_v5.postgresql.patch which needs to be
applied to the postgresql repository. It adds the XSLT to generate the
id links and the CSS to hide/display them. I've added comments as
suggested above.

002-add-discoverable-id-style_v1.pgweb.patch which needs to be applied
to the pgweb repository. It adds the CSS to the offical documentation site.

At the moment (commit 983ec23007) there are no missing ids, so the build
should just work after applying the patch but, as we already know, this
may change with every commit that gets added.

Reviewer is Karl O. Pink

Author is Brar Piening (with some additions from Karl O. Pink)

Best regards,

Brar

Attachment Content-Type Size
002-add-discoverable-id-style_v1.pgweb.patch text/plain 467 bytes
001-make_html_ids_discoverable_v5.postgresql.patch text/plain 5.5 KB