Re: Using more tha one index per table

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using more tha one index per table
Date: 2010-07-22 02:00:39
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-performance

On Jul 21, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> Craig James wrote:
>> By using "current" and encouraging people to link to that, we could quickly change the Google pagerank so that a search for Postgres would turn up the most-recent version of documentation.
>
> How do you propose to encourage people to do that? If I had a good answer to that question, I'd already be executing on it.

When people link to a page, they link to the URL they copy and paste out of the browser address bar.

If http://postgresql.org/docs/9.0/* were to 302 redirect to http://postgresql.org/docs/current/* while 9.0 is the current release (and similarly for 9.1 and so on) I suspect we'd find many more links to current and fewer links to specific versions after a year or two.

> I've made a habit of doing that when writing articles on the wiki, which hopefully themselves become popular and then elevate those links (all of the ones http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server for example point to current). I don't know how to target "people who link to the PostgreSQL manual" beyond raising awareness of the issue periodically on these lists, like I did on this thread.

Cheers,
Steve