Vertica targeting PostgreSQL users

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy Group <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Vertica targeting PostgreSQL users
Date: 2017-11-20 15:43:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi,

Vertica current marketing is heavily targeting Postgres users:

https://www.vertica.com/postgresql/ <https://www.vertica.com/postgresql/>

and features this directly from their homepage. I also know of at least one campaign that has gone out around this.

The good news for our community is that because of all the advances in Postgres and the overall growth to our user base, there are database companies looking to win users over to their platforms. This is also a good learning experience for us too: because we have so many users, we also have to look at user retention to ensure that we have enough features and available knowledge to manage Postgres. I have not read the case study that they proposed, but knowing the group of people who work on Postgres and our software ecosystem, we may have been able to retain those databases on Postgres.

Going forward, we must continue to understand our users’ needs while ensuring that we can provide them as many resources as possible to help them manage Postgres and show them that here is great help available when it is required.

Best,

Jonathan